The airframe that introduced the Clean/Dirty H-Frame concept to the world in 2012 has now been significantly upgraded in this new version. This airframe replaces both the original QAV500 as well as the QAV540G. The QAV500 V2 adds the ability to mount Lumenier's quick mount gimbal, which enables one airframe to be flown both as an acrobatic airframe carrying a fixed GoPro as well as aerial videography airframe with 2-axis gimbal. When purchasing the new QAV500 V2, you now have a choice of arms in different lengths and materials. Arm choices include the original aluminum CNC-ed 500 arms for a 500mm size airframe (measured from motor shaft to motor shaft diagonally), 500mm size G10 arms, 520mm size G10 arms, or long 540mm aluminum arms. The new QAV500 V2 now features a significantly stiffer Dirty Airframe, which is most noticeable when utilizing the longer 520 and 540 size arms.
With 500mm arms, the frame supports a 10 inch prop without seeing props in the video with a fixed or gimbal stabilized GoPro. With a 540mm arm, mounting up to a 12 inch prop is supported without props in view when flown with the Quick Mount Gimbal. With 12 inch props, flight times of 25 minutes or more are possible when utilizing appropriate motors, props, and lipos.
The improved Dirty section of the airframe has been stiffened by implementing curved carbon fiber side-walls combined with a carbon fiber bottom plate and re-designed power distribution board. The new power distribution board features integrated, orientation-aiding LED lights, 2 separate voltage conversion circuits with an included 12v step-down board, and redesigned layout to easily fit a wide variety of ESCs inside the Dirty frame's cavity.
The Clean section of the airframe now features a total of 6 Orange RC Bobbins which have been utilized in all of Lumenier's Clean/Dirty airframes with incredible results. The added bobbin pair prevents the clean section to sag in the center of the airframes. The Clean section now also features a retaining mechanism that prevents the two airframe sections to separate and bobbins to rip apart in the event of a crash. The Clean section features a longer top plate that stiffens the back of the airframe when used with larger, heavier lipo batteries. Furthermore, the larger Clean section provides increased room to mount FPV and other electronics. GPS mounting is made easy with dedicated GPS mounting locations in the center or back of the airframe.
- Stiffened Dirty section with innovative curved carbon fiber side-walls and carbon fiber dirty plate
- Improved power distribution board with integrated LED lighting for orientation and LOS visibility powered by 3s or 4s flight pack
- 3 independent voltage circuits: main flight pack voltage (4 cell recommended), 12v circuit with included 12v step-down, extra circuit for optional step down/up
- Bobbin retainer posts that prevent airframe separation in the event of a crash protecting bobbins and wiring
- Ability to attach and remove Lumenier's Quick-Mount gimbal in around 20 seconds (Gimbal is available separately)
- GoPro mounting plate that can be removed when airframe is exclusively flown with Lumenier Gimbal
- Airframe can be purchased with 4 different arm configurations: 500mm (Aluminum), 500mm (G10), 520mm (G10), and 540mm (Aluminum)
- Optional accessories include a variety of landing gear options and board camera mount that can be placed in 2 different positions at the bottom of the Clean section
- Dedicated mounting hole for video transmitter SMA adapter
- All plates and arms available as spares and crash replacements
- 25 minute flight time with appropriate motors, props, and battery pack
NOTE: Landing gear, Arms, gimbal, and board camera mount are not included in the airframe kit. Please choose desired arm and optional landing gear suitable for your choice of arm (G10 and aluminum arms require different landing gear).
- (Airframe + 500mm aluminum arms): 526g
- (Airframe + 540mm aluminum arms): 543g
- (Airframe + 500mm G10 arms): 522g
- (Airframe + 520mm G10 arms): 536g
- Size (airframe only without arms): 452mm x 115mm x 65mm (no landing gear)
- Suggested Lipo: 4s 35c 3300mAh, 4200mAh, or 5200mAh (depending on payload)
Accessories & Replacement Parts
- QAV Board Camera Mount
- Multiple Landing Gear Options
- Individual replacement of all frame plates
- 1x QAV500 Power Distribution Board
- 1x QAV500 Carbon Fiber Dirty Frame Plate
- 2x Carbon Fiber Side Wall Plates
- 1x QAV500 G10 Clean Frame Base Plate
- 1x QAV500 Flight Controller Cover Plate
- 1x GoPro Camera Plate
- 1x Set of Hardware with Allen Key and Lipo Strap
- 6x Orange RC Bobbins
- 1x XT60 Lipo Pigtail 12AWG
- 1x 12V Step-Down Voltage Regulator
Additional Recommended Components
Top of the Line Build
- 4x Lumenier FX4006-13 740kv Motors
- 4x Lumenier 30 amp ESC with SimonK Firmware
- For 540mm arms 2x Tiger 12x4 Carbon Fiber Props (pair)
- For 500-520mm arms 2x Lumenier 10x4.5 Carbon Fiber Props (pair)
- QAV Quick-Mount Brushless Gimbal Unit (Plug & Play)
- With a gimbal - Lumenier 5200mAh 4s 35c Lipo Battery
- Without a gimbal - Lumenier 4200mAh 4s 35c Lipo Battery
- DJI Naza M V2 Multi-Rotor Stabilization Controller and GPS/Compass
- 4x Lumenier FM4006-13 740kv
- 4x Lumenier 30 amp ESC with SimonK Firmware
- For 540mm arms Graupner E-Prop 12x6 2x CW Pusher 2x CCW
- For 500-520mm arms Graupner E-Prop 10x5 2x CW Pusher 2x CCW
- Without a gimbal - Lumenier 4200mAh 4s 35c Lipo Battery or Lumenier 3300mAh 4s 35c Lipo Battery
- OpenPilot CC3D Flight Controller Lumenier Edition
Patents Pending. Clean/Dirty Airframe Separation is a Trademark by Lumenier.
Build review by Tatey on 12/23/2015
Built this unit with the pixhawk controller. Easy to build although the tuning and setup required a YouTube video that was easy to use (that is for the pixhawk) unit flies really well with the 540mm arms and 11" props, super stable and when I add the tarot 2d gamble am sure that I will be able to get the shots I want.
The main structure is very well priced, I did get a shock at the cost of the other units but I didn't skimp on buying the good stuff.
All in all a great stable base with plenty of room for added components.
The Allen bolts I found strip out easily as the 2.0mm Allen key is slightly too small and the 2.5mm Allen key is too big, changing out to titanium to see how they go. Note : I have had to replace 4 arms due to my current flying ability (think I have it dialled in now though) but this is in no way a fault of the base.
Hope this helps.
A Worthy Successor Indeed review by Shane on 10/17/2014
I pre-ordered the V2 frame the day it was announced, apart from having to wait several weeks (which was stated), this product is perfect. I have flown my trusty QAV500 V1 since 2012 shortly after it was launched, so how does the new guy stack up against it.
Now here are some of my findings. This is not a frame for a first time builder. Although it is very easy to assemble and the fit of all the parts is the usual perfect Lumenier quality, it is not a screw together and fly quad. For me, I like clean builds, so it takes more time to make everything neat. When you give this frame the time it deserves in a build you will be very pleased. Take the time and this air frame will fly for years.
The dirty frame section is the stiffest frame in a quad this size I have ever seen (and the added carbon fiber adds some real class). With the arms attached and everything screwed together (PDB and carbon bottom and side plates), I supported it on two 2X4's where the arms attach. I was then able to stand on the center, and I weigh 290Lbs. I did not jump on it, I carefully placed my weight on it and only measured about 1/4 inch of deflection. This frame is stiff.
The last main point I want to cover is the gimbal and the redesign of the front. By removing the front shelf the distance any gimbal has to protrude is greatly reduced. The effect is much less bowing in the middle between the battery and camera. With the plug and play gimbal from GetFPV, it gives you the option to fly with or without the gimbal and easy change between the two. As I sometime fly for stills (W/ RX100 M2) I make a plate out of carbon fiber that mounts the same way as the gimbal. In less than 60 seconds I can switch back and forth.
The changes in the V2 frame are a welcomed sight with the two voltage regulators I can run my VTx an camera off the regulators separately. The changes make the QAV500 a real tough workhorse. I may not be as glamours as some off the shelf competitors but when it comes to the quality that demanding flyers want, it will deliver.
Pixhawk - Ublox GPS
Sony Pro 700TVL
EZOSD + EZUHF 8Ch Diversity
iBcrazy Ultra Clover leaf Tx - Crosshair Rx
Lawmate tuned 500/1000 Watt 1.258 VTx
Tiger MT4006 - Lumenier 30 amp SimonK ESC
500 mm Arms - May upgrade to 540 and 12'' Props
5200 mAh Lumenier Lipo